Dental Bridges: An Alternative to Dentures
Dental bridges are an affordable and comfortable alternative to dentures. If you are just missing a few teeth, a dental bridge is used to fill in the missing gap. Dental bridges affix to healthy teeth and use a pontic to fill the space. Where complete or partial dentures require a period of adjustment and specialized cleaning, bridges are comfortable and little maintenance with good dental hygiene habits.
How the Process Works
When Dr. Rosenfeld identifies you as an ideal candidate for dental bridges, there are a few things that go into the process:
- During the first visit, your abutment teeth are shaped for the bridge. Eventually, a crown will be fitted to these teeth to support the pontic.
- Impressions are made of the abutment teeth so that the crown fits perfectly.
- Dr. Rosenfeld will fit a temporary bridge and crowns while your final bridge and pontics are made.
During the second visit, your permanent bridge will be custom fitted. A unique dental cement is used that bonds your bridge and pontic to the abutment teeth. After the procedure, a return visit may be necessary to make sure that everything is fitted perfectly.
After the Procedure
Dental bridges are ideal for those that don’t want the maintenance that goes along with dentures and are an affordable solution to more costly dental implants. You will notice that your bridges:
- Let you enjoy the foods that you like.
- Match your existing teeth and make it easier to chew.
- Can be maintained with good dental hygiene.
For adequate care, it is recommended that you brush, floss, and rinse twice per day. Additionally, a device known as a waterpik can help remove food and plaque from those hard-to-reach places around your bridge. Patients get good results from bridges. With good hygiene practices, bridges last about 10 to 15 years and let you enjoy a functional smile. If you have questions about dental bridges, feel free to contact Dr. Rosenfeld’s clinic at 858-755-1189 to schedule an appointment.