Aside from perfect weather and beautiful beaches, San Diego is quite the interesting city. As America’s Finest City, San Diego has a lot to offer, as well as a great deal of interesting history. Located nearby in Solana Beach, the experts and helpful team at the office of Robert Rosenfeld DDS are proud to neighbor such a fantastic city.
While our main concern is the oral health of our dental patients, we’d love to share some fun and interesting facts about San Diego. So next time you pay a visit to Dr. Rosenfeld, you can think about all the great things the area has to offer.
San Diego: 5 Fun Facts
Whether you’re a San Diego native or a happy new resident, the city’s history is filled with fun facts. From famous celebs to a series of sports teams, San Diego has seen it all. We’re sure you haven’t heard all of these fun facts to follow, so take a look and see if you learn something new!
- Ever used WD-40 to grease up your bike chain before a nice boardwalk ride? Created by the Rocket Chemical Company, WD-40 was invented in San Diego in 1953.
- The hilarious 2004 comedy, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy was set in San Diego, with glimpses of the SD zoo throughout!
- The funny and clever Ted Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, called San Diego home.
- It may be no fun for us, but it’s a fun fact to hear that all lakes in the city prohibit swimming! Fortunately, we have beautiful beaches!
- Legendary skateboarder, Tony Hawk was born in San Diego and still lives in the area. San Diego officials have even made May 29th Tony Hawk Day!
As you can see, San Diego has quite the history—and this is just a glimpse! Next, let’s take a look at some more interesting facts about the fantastic city.
Interesting Facts about San Diego
While the facts listed above may be fun to learn, San Diego’s interesting history goes much further. With sometimes bizarre laws, such as prohibiting Christmas lights after February, San Diego never ceases to amaze. See the list below for our selection of interesting facts:
- San Diego ranks number 3 for the best city in the country for dating.
- Leaving your Christmas lights up after February second could cost you $250!
- SD is the country’s leading producer of avocados. Famous singer Jason Mraz even owns his own avocado farm nearby.
- When the Coronado bridge opened in 1969, former president Ronald Reagan was the first to make the drive across. Now that’s interesting!
- La Jolla once had houses built specifically for small people, which housed some Munchkin actors from the Wizard of Oz movie.
- Multiple songs have been written about the city, including Bing Crosby’s “Where the Turf Meets the Surf.”
- Though San Diego is home to both a professional baseball and football team, neither team has won a World Series or Superbowl. In fact, San Diego is the largest city to have never won a Superbowl. Maybe next year!
There you have it: a list of fun and interesting facts about San Diego. Clearly, San Diego is rich in odd history and fun facts. Which ones were your favorite?
Of course, we can’t forget to stress the importance of properly caring for your teeth. If you suffer from any type of dental issue, be sure to contact the office of Robert Rosenfeld DDS. As a reminder, every patient should come in at least twice a year for checkups and dental cleanings. Give us a call today at 858.755.1189.