No one wants to see cancer looming in the future. Take some prudent steps now to ensure a long, healthy life for yourself. Here are some steps you can take to decrease the risks of oral cancer:
- Stop using tobacco products. Keep in mind that tobacco products can be smoked or chewed. Quitting can be a daunting task but doing so can greatly reduce your risk of several cancers, oral included. Get some help with this one, especially if you are a long-time user.
- Drink less. If you are drinking more than four alcoholic beverages a day, you are considered a heavy drinker. Overconsumption of alcohol carries a number of risks, especially to your mouth. These risks include erosion of your teeth and decay of soft tissues.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Your body needs the nutrients from both fruit and vegetables to fight infections and keep running normally.
- Protect your face from the sun. Lip cancer is often associated with overexposure to the sun’s rays. Wear a hat, and use a lip balm that has sun protection factors.
- Get screened regularly for oral cancer. You can do this in our office with each cleaning and exam. We are here to help you!
Although there are some risk factors beyond your control, there are ways to help prevent oral cancer from taking over your life. Do not wait until you are experiencing symptoms. Put this information to use in your life. Be sure to discuss this list with loved ones, too. Take special care to talk to your younger relatives about using tobacco. Make sure they understand the risks.
We want to help your family avoid oral cancer. Call us to schedule an exam and cleaning. We will screen you for oral cancer while you are here.